Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Meat Eater Plants














So even some plants prefer meat? These carnivorous plants got me intrigued, I was expecting huge/gigantic flowers which I saw on science fiction films snapping humans , eating them alive. So I went inside this booth and found these cute plants. No, they weren't eating human, they were too small even to snap a tiny finger. They actually eat insects.




Snap Facts : Pitcher plants are carnivorous plants whose prey-trapping mechanism features a deep cavity filled with liquid known as a pitfall trap. It has been widely assumed that the various sorts of pitfall trap evolved from rolled leaves, with selection pressure favouring more deeply cupped leaves over evolutionary time. _  click source


Now that dengue mosquitoes are rampant in Manila, I think they are going to be a good ally against those dangerous insects. Wait___ I hope these plants are not picky, do they eat dengue mosquitoes?




Found the booth in a trade fair during Kadayawan in Davao City.

No comments:

Post a Comment