Sunday, September 16, 2012

A Ferry Ride

As ever, my email is full of travel deal offers. Nowadays, very unlikely of me, I proceed to deleting them instead of rummaging over them in search of a fitted deal for my frequent family trips. A huge change  has gone over my family this year, which technically glued my feet inside our home to solely take care of my girls. I'm parenting 24/7. Alright, not fair to claim the credit all by myself. Husband actually, has never gone. He's still very much around. Thu' not so much physical but definitely 100% "around". In all aspect..


 
... virtually.everyday.7/24 during working days and yeah 24/7 on non-working days.



But him not physically around has put limit, if not totally ceased our little family adventures. If before with him around, he had already put limitations to what/where only was allowable, now I don't want to send worries to him by taking the girls on trip without him. If you're a family friend, you should know how oa protected this dad is to us.


 
But malls bored me to death. I don't shop. I mean shopping doesn't amuse me. Buying pricey bags, shoes, clothes would just end my day with heavy heart for slashing my wallet and after all would find no connection at all to these "lonely mom's toys". Long gone are my materialistic years. In my marriage and mom's life , a new matured me has emerged.




Now spot the difference of this photo of me and that of me in the previous one above. short and long hair? erk# haha. Seriously. Nothing has elated me so much as a nature trip. Need I say more?

 ==============+++++++++++++
But for the meantime, I got to put my favorite activity on hold. While we are still in transition.  
++++++++++++++=============
Meanwhile, traveling through my antiquated photos fill in the gaps.
=============++++++++++++++
Ok, not that old actually. Just a tad over a  year old. Photos I hadn't posted yet but were somehow promised.
=============++++++++++++++

Ready or not, let's go for a boat ride in Mindanao...



I never got bored traveling by water. I hail from a country with 7,107 islands. I practically have no choice but to have fun riding a boat to have reached some of them. # never as  pilot thu', haha. I just took the driver seat while he was still out.



 Mostly, I rode a local version of a boat called a "banca". A passenger boat/ferry  like that in the above photo is a typical boat used to reach a certain island here in our country. You can't simply jump out of an airplane to set foot in an island here. You have to add on a boat ride upon exiting an airport gate.



The interior is usually like this. Open air where passengers could enjoy the view of the sea. This kind is mostly used for short trip to a particular island coming from the mainland. Like a 30minutes to an hour long ride.



Personally, one of my favorite past times while riding a banca is to stare the parts of the boat which are called the "outriggers". I easily get lost in watching them slapping the blue sea water, until it's time to alight.




That.. in the absence of a perfect blue sea and whitish blue cottony sky. This was like less than 30 minutes away from the mainland Davao city.



Passing numerous islets in the middle of the sea  made this boat ride interesting.




More so when we passed near and had  better look of the islets. Look at the slides. It would be fun to make a stop here and swim. I almost forgot, this one wasn't an island hopping ride.I was bound to alight in one of the famous island resorts in the country.



Approaching my destination, resorts here and there were visible already.



However, a sad fact of being a third world country doesn't limit in the streets of the mainlands of our country. Right there in the middle of the sea were the versions of the street children/beggars. Throw a coin and they would swim deep to catch it. I don't know, but instead of getting entertained, my mother heart pitied these kids risking their lives to earn a living. Well, to console myself, I reckoned they must be excellent swimmers anyway.



I knew I was about to alight already when this beautiful facade of the resort appeared right on my very eyes.




How about staying a night or two in one of those pretty stilt cottages..


Well, have I mentioned that it was at The Pearl Farm in Samal Island, Davao? It was. Hop on there.

2 comments:

  1. I've had my fair share of travelling by boat especially when my work covered the MIMAROPA region. Boats going to Mindoro, Marinduque, Romblon and Palawan is not uncommon. The funny thing is I don't know how to swim.

    I remember the most terrible rides I had was when we travelled from Odiongan, Romblon to Batangas ans reaching Digyo Island from the mainland Inopacan, Leyte. and vice versa The first was a closed vessel but the waves were so big that a lot got seasick, while the latter took us an hour to reach the island using a small banca good for 5 people. We were so soaking wet that we had to take a shower when we reached the shore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #interesting.never been to Marindoque & Romblon. never been sea sick too during my numerous boat rides. yours were quite an experience. so brave of you to travel by water_ i actually wanted to tell the same to myself. i am also far from being a swimmer. call me another brave soul too. cheers to us!

      Delete